If you want your child to communicate more openly with you, then let them talk, no matter how shocking. It sounds so simple and yet it is so hard for many parents to accomplish. Just let them talk. Consider these tips on keeping communication lines open with your children:
- Ask your child what they think instead of telling them what you think.
- Avoid interrogating your child.
- Tell stories about yourself growing up.
- Share quality family time.
- Respect your differences – Although you may not always agree with your child’s decisions or views, it is important to understand and appreciate his/her perspective and reasoning.
Many parents aren’t consciously aware that they are their child’s first teacher. Parenting goes beyond just being a role model and provider. Our children have to be taught continually and reinforced that they are worthwhile and loved. We strive for our children to be happy in their choices and feel good about themselves.